Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dyscalculia

Another sweltering summer day, and another class of 'Basic Mathematics'. No, it's not fair. I am sure even the mention of this dreary combination has painted an ugly picture in your mind. I don't blame you. It is MATH, and it is HOT. Why, why, WHY, would you do this to yourself? I do not know why I am doing this to myself.

Of course, I am forgetting to mention that I am stuck in a stupid 5-year course in IIT, but I shall not forget to mention that I am 'stuck' in a HUMANITIES and SOCIAL SCIENCES COURSE. WHY WOULD ANYONE EVEN DREAM OF HAVING TO DO MATHEMATICS IN A HUMANITIES COURSE? WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHYYYY?

I am dying. Officially. I sit in class and I am lost. I come up with witty comments or flowery poetry in the middle of a math class, hell, something is wrong with me!

My prof started 'Limits and Derivatives' the other day. You ought to see him. His undying enthusiasm for Mathematics makes me snort my butt off. It is downright ludicrous to see a grown man, standing as excited as a kid when it comes to solving some mind-numbingly complex Derivatives Theorem on the board. Wait, did I say 'solve the theorem'? Ah-ah, that is wrong, babies. It is 'proving the theorem'. I give a rat's ass. Apparently, I am supposed to. Anyway, this prof is quite sadistic. He KNOWS that I am a goner when it comes to Math, and yet, he smiles at me, and asks me some weird question, the contents of which I have NEVER heard of ( probably because I wasn't listening...Probably) and I am bowled! I mutter some evidently i-don't-really-know-what-you-are-talking-about-words and then he smiles EVEN MORE, SHAKES HIS HUGE HEAD AND COMES UP WITH THE SOLUTION...PRONTO! And I slump.

UGH. My life has been on the verge of extinction ever since this semester has begun. Mathematics and failing the course is all I have in my mind. Worry? You don't even know that word! It is supposed to be 'Basic' Mathematics. Whoever thought Derivatives was 'Basic' huh?

Calculus. I have a good mind to go back in time and throw Newton and Leibniz into a box, send it to Mars, and end this torment once and for all!

So much for taking arts to AVOID math. So much for my masterplan.

1 comment: