Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weights and Measures

I'm quite sick of arbitrary expressions. Why can't there be precision in conveying certain meanings? Why can't there be a pretty measuring tape, or a weighing machine, or even a ruler, to measure how much one loves, hates, envies, yearns, etc. When you say that you love me, why is there no possibility of taking that love, pouring it into a scientific beaker and comparing it with the love you profess for someone else? Why is it incomparable, relative and so abstruse?! I would kill to know the exactness of every emotion hurled at me; the scientific correctness of every sentiment toward me; the sheer measure of every meaning. I mean, what does "I want this SO bad" mean? Or, "I love you more than you can ever imagine!"? Or even, "Argh, I hate her from the bottom of my heart, screw her!" mean? IS there any way of knowing exactly how much you want, love or hate? I know this is impossible. It doesn't make it beautiful, no. Just lends emotion a glimmer of enigma and makes it seem all important and special. Ah, the glory. Somehow, funnily, mystery has always fascinated most people. The prospect of surprise, of concealed truths, of hidden meanings and true love looms ahead, like a carrot on a stick, while we, like mere donkeys, surge our heads forward and try grabbing our prize. There's no prize for us, though. Just a life full of its silly secrets and mean surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment